The Following is a That’s Good/That’s Bad Story

JFK airport gets props for calling its departure car terminal the Kiss and Go Line. That’s good. We took a taxi to JFK, only to realize that our flight was leaving from Laguardia. That’s bad. We found a driver from the black car fleet who promised to get us to LGA before our departure. That’s good. To do so, he drove up the expressway’s shoulder, and swerved on and off the exit ramps. That’s bad. All the while, his stereo played the most soothing Buddhist meditation music. That’s good. But the music’s effect was over as soon as you looked out the window. That’s bad. We made it to LGA! That’s very good. But because I was using a temporary Iowa ID that looks like a badly-copied photo of Magda Bear Breath, the TSA people decided that a woman, who, in a better economy would be home with her grandkids, had to deftly pat me for about twenty minutes. That’s bad. The procedure moved me to the front of the line! And everyone decided that, despite my demeanor, no part of me was apt to explode. That’s good. We got home, on time, and now I can write my tale to you–which is very good indeed.

(Originally posted January 3, 2013)

Outvoting Justice

I recently attended a lecture by Justice Michael Streight, who was one of the seven state supreme court judges who unanimously passed the ruling that made gay marriage legal in Iowa. A year after the decision, Streight was voted out of office, along with every other supreme court justice who was up for renewal. This is my take on what Justice Streight had to say in his address:

When the justices first received the gay-marriage case, they took a preliminary bench vote, and found that everyone agreed, without argument, that Iowa law permitted gay marriage. Ultimately, the justice who wrote the final ruling was a Republican.

Since the 1950s, Iowa has voted only seven supreme court judges out of office. Three of those seven lost their positions over the marriage ruling. However, just 5 percent of the judge-removal-campaign money came from Iowans themselves. The remaining 95 percent came from Mississippi, Washington DC, New Jersey and Newt Gingrich. No one, to Justice Streight’s knowledge, criticized the legal aspects of the ruling. No one found fault with the judges’ reasoning. In fact, most every attack centered on questions of religious belief, quasi science (debunked by the AMA and the APA) and the so-called interests of tradition. 

Few Iowans reacted to the judge-removal campaign until it was too late. The judges themselves didn’t react until deep into the election year. For the most part, Iowa figured that our judges had never lost their jobs to a political movement–and that they’d certainly never lost those jobs to a political movement whose funding came from out of state. And because we were so complacent, most of us didn’t fill out the judicial portion of that year’s election ballot. 

This November, Iowa Justice David Wiggins faces re-election. As one of the judges ruling for gay marriage, he’s featured in the No Wiggins bus tour. No-Wiggins participants include Rick Santorum and Bobby Jindal. 

This kind of campaigning has inspired movements in other states as well. In Florida, a similar judge ouster could happen in regards to a ruling on business laws. And in Michigan, a judge told Justice Streight that although he believes it’s Constitutionally correct to rule for gay marriage, he would never do so, because he’d lose his job.

So please: If you’re proud that our courts defend their constitutions, or if you’re happy with the separation of the branches of government, or if you’re just partial to the idea of a state’s own people making a state’s own decisions–vote for your judges. And vote for them manually. Voting a party-ticket won’t do it, because, as interpreters of the law, the justices aren’t affiliated with politics. That’s the whole bleeping point.

(Originally posted September 24, 2012)

Rest in Peace, Meg

I’m left to hope that there is indeed a Mother of all, that she will leaven inconsolable grief with inconceivable grace. That she, who occupies existence outside of both time and space, has the goodness to judge us at our lives’ best reaches, instead of at their finish. I’m left to hope that this, our Mother, will divulge us her presence. And that through such nearness–both sustained and sustaining–we can feel that life is but a womb for all things, as we wait to be born. 

(Originally posted July 13, 2012)